espeakup vs speechd-up and speech dispatcher

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 19:30:57 EST 2010

No, I don't think updating your pulseaudio driver will fix it.  Voice
preference is a matter of preference, and at low speeds, I hate the
voxin voice, too.  But at 500-ish words per minute or higher, it's the
best game in town, at least with the US-English voice.

Could you use the attached program to create a voice sample and post
it so I can hear it?  That will let me know if it's normal or broken.
Just type:

    tar -xvzf say.tar.gz
    cd say
    make
    ./say -s100 -w sample.wav "This is just some random text I'm using
to test ibmtts.  Feel free to type a lot here."

This should create a voice file you can e-mail to this list, at just a
bit slower than I like.  Be sure to play it to with mplayer, or some
such thing, so you are sure it sounds the same as what you normally
hear.

Thanks,
Bill