Speakup and vinux

Pia pmikeal at comcast.net
Tue Jan 5 16:13:20 EST 2010

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Martin McCormick wrote:

> Windows or Linux. One thing to watch out for is that the boot
> sector for Linux mustn't clobber the Windows boot sector. It
> does sometimes happen. I haven't ever set up a multiple-boot
> system so I can't help much there

The thing you want to do there is make sure that you install Windows first
and that it is on your C: drive (ie, the first hard drive or hard drive
partition in your system).  Then, you can install Linux.  Make sure when
Linux installs its boot loader that it properly detects your Windows OS
and that it sets it up to boot as well in a dual boot system.  With Ubuntu
and Debian as what Vinux is based on, it is pretty clear when you get to
that step, to explain to you what it has and has not detected.  I would
stick with Grub as your boot loader instead of trying Grub 2 at this point
because it is so new and I have not tried to dual boot a Windows / Linux
box with it yet.  If anyone has, any comments would be nice.  In the
Ubuntu installer I know it defaults to Grub 2 and so you have to
explicitly tell it to use Grub Legacy.

HTH,

Pia