Main advantages of SBL over Speakup

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 20:30:18 EST 2010

Pia <pmikeal at comcast.net> wrote:
> We love your University's job
> distribution system named Condor BTW, thank you! :)  Keep in mind though,
> that the i7 will go from scientific number crunching geek, or gamer
> technology to the norm in about a year or so.  Therefore, motherboards
> lacking a serial port are already here and coming down the pike quickly

I applied for a programming job with the Condor team.  They are
in the CS department at UW Madison.  Amazing how small the world really is!
No, I didn't get the job.  Better luck next time, I suppose.

Anyway, the serial port discussion seems to be perennial.
I know that the topic has made several appearances during the last three
years or so.
Regardless of the status of the standard RS-232 port,
I think we can all agree that Speakup should move forward to support the
various sorts of hardware in use on today's PCs, including
USB-to-serial adapters, PCI-based serial cards, USB synthesizers, et cetera.
If we can all agree on that point, then there's no need for argument.

Peace,
-- Chris