USB synthesizers

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Thu Feb 11 19:52:12 EST 2010

Hi All,
Since the topic of serial ports has come up, I thought I might inquire
about the possibility of interfacing directly with those USB hardware
synthesizers that do exist.  I'm thinking especially of the Dectalk USB,
which I happen to own.
I don't know much about USB protocols, but I'd guess the one it uses isn't
just an encapsulation of the one used over the serial port?  I just think
that if we could either reverse-engineer or better yet pursuade the
manufacturers to give us the specs for those protocols, we'd dodge the
serial port problem entirely.
I'm probably raising the same question that bugs free software people
everywhere, but I thought it should be asked.
Thanks much,
Zack.