installing speakup on the netbook

Tyler Littlefield tyler at tysdomain.com
Thu Feb 11 16:14:28 EST 2010

Hello all,
I just recently got an aces netbok, and used grml with software speech to run a debootstrap.
The grml system works great with the hardware, and i have software speech, ethernet and sound for the install.
After I get it all installed, I don't have ethernet to run off of, so the idea was to put speakup on the system and use it to install and compile the drivers.
I'm having an issue, and I was wondering if anyone has found a workaround.

What I did was built speakup in a chroot, and pointed it to the linux headers for the kernel on the debian system, so it could build against those. I installed the modules, and have espeakup set to start at boot, with speakup_soft in the /etc/modules list.
I have Alsa installed, but am not receiving any sound; has anyone found a way to get that half of the mess working?

		Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
	http://tds-solutions.net
	Twitter: sorressean