Main advantages of SBL over Speakup

Trevor Astrope astrope at tabbweb.com
Tue Feb 9 16:09:06 EST 2010

Samuel, do you mean there is no kernel convention for accessing serial
ports or there is no speakup support for accessing serial ports according
to kernel conventions?

It would be really great if speakup could use ttyS# devices, so speakup
would work with modern motherboards that do not have built-in serial
ports. The way I see it is speakup can only use software speech on modern
computers, so unless it can access external serial ports or usb serial
ports, there really is no advantage to speakup being in the kernel so far
as I can tell...