Main advantages of SBL over Speakup

Pia pmikeal at comcast.net
Mon Feb 8 19:52:10 EST 2010

For those that use the GUI, why not just use the terminal in Gnome with
Orca and then you have the commandline with Orca keys and you don't have
to change Speakup key bindings.  For one, I don't like that Orca will
allow you to interrupt it with any key.  I do think Orca is great for a GUI
because it is more like other familiar GUI environments blind people are
used to, but for the commandline only server, I could be annoyed if my
Speakup acted in a like manner.  I think for the GUI Orca is good though.
Again, why make them all the same?  I also really like the editable key
bindings of Yasr and actually would use it a lot if it didn't mess up my
terminal redraw for some reason.  I like how easy it is to customize Yasr
but admit I have not tried customization in other screen readers the way I
have for Yasr.  An easily customizable key binding would make both camps
happy I would think.  This for Speakup though would involve actually
changing the keymap as I understand it though.  I mean, I like things the
way they are but the capability for customization is always good.