speakup and ligatures

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Mon Feb 8 00:27:49 EST 2010

Hi All,
I've begun reading tutorials and information on the LaTeX typesetting
system.  Many of these are in the form of PDF files, which edbrowse quite
readily converts and displays for me.
Quite often, these PDFs were prepared by LaTeX itself.  The system has a
habbit of inserting ligatures whenever common letter combinations are
used.  These are rendered in utf-8, I believe.  Speakup reads them all as
"null".  They should rather be read as the combination they are, such as
"fi" or "ff".  Is there any file I can modify to get speakup to read these
properly?  It isn't too much trouble for me to figure out from context
what they are, but it'd be wonderful if Speakup could just do the right
thing in these situations.
Thanks much for any advice,
Zack.