Sound Devices on Arch?

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Sat Dec 11 13:25:49 EST 2010

Hi Steve and Chris,

That was simple, glad you got it solved.

But my problem was a little different. My non-root user was already in
the audio group, and the instances of aplay that produced that error
were in that user's procmailrc file. I am retrieving my email with
getmail, and delivering it directly to procmail, which has a couple of
recipes that use aplay to generate sounds when certain headers are
encountered. It was a setup that worked fine up until some particular
upgrade, after which it was only those aplays within the procmailrc
that were failing. Using aplay from a command prompt worked fine.

The beep man page discusses setting that program to run suid, so I used
that technique with aplay. Lo and behold it worked.

Chuck