Sound Devices on Arch?

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Sat Dec 11 12:42:56 EST 2010

Hi Steve,

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:33:50AM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> I just installed Arch Linux on my new laptop but I have run into something
> I can't seem to figure out.  It seems that speech is working fine but I can't
> play any sound files.  Alsa complains that it can't find a device.
> Yet, my machine talks fine with Speakup, espeak and the espeakup connector.

I solved a similar problem here by changing permissions on aplay, like
this:

# chmod 4755 /usr/bin/aplay

I had to do the same thing with the beep command. If it's not too
serious a security risk, you might want to try it. It's an easy enough
change to undo if you need to.

Chuck

      Website: hallenbeck.ftml.net, Jabber ID: chuckh1 at jabber.org
                                --------
         You're not an alcoholic unless you go to the meetings.