building modules

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 09:57:03 EST 2010

Hi Tyler,

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 05:02:06PM -0700, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
> Speaking of staging, I notice the newest git doesn't have makefiles for
> compiling as a stand-alone module set. Are we all being quietly forced
> into messing with the kernel? Any hopes of getting back the module
> process? It seems we went from patching it into the kernel, to
> stand-alone modules, and now we're back to the installing it into the
> kernel again. I like both ways, but I use the modules on systems I want
> to just get up and running fast, especially when I don't care to sit
> down and compile a kernel.

The modules directory in the latest git has a makefile that will build
the modules.  Just cd into there and run make then make modules_install.

One thing to be aware of is that the latest git workswith kernel 2.6.36
or later. To be accepted into staging, one of the requirements was that
we had to remove support for older kernels.

Thanks,

William