debian squeeze keyboard problem

lists at barrettpianos.co.uk lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 17:16:27 EDT 2010

All,

This is a long shot but just wonder if anyone has any thoughts on a
problem I am having and whether it may be anything to do with
speakup.

Using a weekly build of squeeze from 27th July.

My problem is that, I am not getting the uk keyboard layout in the
console.

The layout seems to be correct in the gui.

If I understand thing correctly, the /etc/default/keyboard is used by
the console and xorg to provide keyboard layout so I find it strange
that in gnome it is working but not in the console.

I have tried dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration and although I
tell it I have a uk keyboard still no change.

I have put the installation cd back in and found that selecting the uk
keyboard seems to work in the installer so must have changed
when booting in to the new install.

I have done an apt-get install dist-upgrade which has not had any
improvement.

All I can think of now is getting another cd and trying again but
thought I would check the list first.

Just wondered if it could be to do with speakup as, googling has not
revealed any similar reports which is surprising me a bit.

Thanks

Keith Barrett