debian testing no speech after new install

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Aug 11 12:10:55 EDT 2010

No, I don't think the kernel has updated since that time and I messed
with my serial synth befor that point in time anyway.  I can echo text
to it to /dev/ttyS0 and that part works great but when I try to use
the speakup_spkout module to use the Speakout synth with speakup, I
get silence. I don't know how to debug this either.  I really don't
have kernel hacking skills to speak uf.

I wonder if there is anything else I can look for.  I also use an Arch
system so we do have that in common.  That's why I'm surprised you can
do it but I can't.  Unless it has something to do with each specific
synth module.