Parted Not Found

trev.saunders at gmail.com trev.saunders at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 19:04:31 EDT 2010

Hi,

> Trev,
>

> Get yourself both an IDE and SATA enclosures. You just need the box. Plug
> the hard drive in and through USB plug it as an external drive to your
> laptop and you are good to go.
>
> If it is a desktop, you can use an IDE or a SATA cable. Just make sure with
> the IDE you move the jumper to slave the hard drive.

yeah, I deal with the hard ware end all the time, and am good at copying daata between disks with linux machines.  The problem came when the machines immediately at hand all ran windows, I needed to copy the data from hard drive a to drive b, but couldn't find any thing for windows that would just copy the data, without caring about what that data was.  I had to just copy the data byte for byte, because there is no good windows drivers for linux file systems.  SO I solved this by soucking it up and going to a linux machine, pluging the drives into spare sata cables, and used DD to copy / image the drive, but a windows program that could do the ame thing as dd would be a nice thing to know about, and it seems like have something like that?

> On my LAN server, I have 2 internal hard drives. One has a primary partition
> that runs the OS and all of my server applications. As to the other, I only
> made it an extended partition and generated 4 logical partitions. So jumpers
> here do not matter at all. The BIOS looks for the hard drive with the
> primary partition where the MBR is. It ignores the rest.

Here is my experience as to how linux servers are often setup.  you use 3 disks for raid 5.  You partition each disk to use all but about 64 megs for the raid.  Finally you put /boot, where things neccessary for boot go on one of those 64 meg partitions, and then you install the boot loader to one of the drives.

> I don't create primary partitions unless they are used for an OS. I always
> create extended partition and slice it to as many logicals as I want.

I've basically just decided to forget partitions, and just use lvm, its a lot more flexible.

> However, with Linux now, I am even seeing much more possibilities that
> require less hardware work. I just need to get to learn the system well as I
> know Windows.

yeah, you can do a lot of nice things.

> I would also recommend NLite if you want to make a Windows installation CD
> without touching the keyboard through the installation.
>
> I used to listen to the hard drive and memorize the screens. With NLite, I
> boot the computer and run the business or program while Windows installs on
> its own. By the time it is done, I have Windows, necessary drivers, and
> domain set up. I just install JAWS and continue working.
>
> I have a business here. I cannot waste precious time anymore listening to
> the hard drive cranking, assume, and respond to all of the questions that
> Windows ask.

interesting, does this work for the server os's two?  those are really the only ones I can see any use for right now.

Trev