Michael's ArchLinux Installation

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon Apr 26 09:36:17 EDT 2010

Ok lvm does allow more flexibility however there are some limits.
You can use just ramsize for swap, so 2gb would be enough and this would let
you suspend to disk.

You can resize partitions with lvm however you need to resize the underlying
filesystem first. You can't resize a mounted filesystem so resizing the root
file system won't happen unless you boot from a live cd.
Usually what happens is you have a /boot partition and then the rest of the
system loads off logical volumes. To do this however you need an initial
ramdisk and lvm built into that initial ramdisk image. This is something i'm
sure arch linux has.

I often actually set up /boot with say 100 megabytes, then a small root fs
then the rest of the stuff on logical volumes.
To change the size of partitions you need to reduce the size of the file
system then reduce the number of logical extents in the file system. not
sure if there are tools to do this easily.

I think you can grow reiserfs when it is mounted but shrinking it requires
an unmount.
xfs can only grow.
ext4 I believe needs to be unnmounted for resizing.

If diskspace is tight then perhaps doing without lvm would save you
complexity.
the smallest disk I have in a server is 60 gig so space is not an issue
here.
I don't usually use lvm on the virtual machines which are 2 gig in size,
they don't need the complexity.

As to the comment on swap, I don't see a lot of stuff swapped out but if
there is no swap then swapping is not an option.
Yes the system can swap to lvm although note that you need support in the
initrd for the s2disk technology either the kernel stuff or tuxonice.
Regards, Kerry.