Michael's ArchLinux Installation

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Apr 26 08:43:50 EDT 2010

Thanks for the information. I did sort of know about the suspend to disk
advantage.

I do have a question. As my reason for using swap files for swap space
is to do with having 2GB of RAM and so using the RAM times two rule for
swap means 4GB which is more than I think my laptop's HD wants to take
permanently (I mean it would restrict the other partitions more than I
would want to go). Now I have heard people mention about LVM allowing
more dynamic allocation of disk space, how possible are the following
and how safe are they:

* To expand and shrink volumes with data on (eg. an ext4 partition
holding the main system)?
* Suspend to disk, does it work if swap is a volume in LVM?
* Is there any issues with using swap in a volume?
* What is the options for installing grub when using LVM? Remember my
preference has been to install it to the partition boot sector.

Thanks for any answers.

Michael Whapples