rfc: speakup's character and punctuation processing

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Mon Apr 26 03:55:49 EDT 2010

Hi William,
I am using speakup with both English and Afrikaans, switching between the
two as required on the fly.

I just, and this is in a very old speakup, cat a customized characters
table into the characters entry in the speakup parameters directory and it
works well.

I have looked into translating the prompts and actually has done some of
them in Afrikaans a while back as the new speakup allows for that.

I also have a synthesizer here that is under development and does not
support pronunciation of punctuation and here the way speakup allows for
sending text strings like comma or ampersand came  in quite useful.

As for pronunciation dictionaries, I would think they should stay at the
synth level.
Kind regards, Willem