Newbie question about punctuation

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 19:33:35 EDT 2010

Sorry for this newbie question.  I use espeakup and speechd-up, and no
external devices.  What is the difference between punctuation and
reading punctuation?  I find that changing "reading punctuation" does
what I expect, and I can adjust to hear more or fewer punctuation
characters.  But changing "punctuation level" doesn't seem to do
anything.  I'm using Ubuntu Lucid (actually Vinux), speakup version
speakup-3.1.3+git20100110.  I see that for both espeakup and
speechd-up, a punctuation command is sent only once (the 'b' command),
and it seems to ask the software synth to punctuation to "0", which is
interpreted by speechd-up as "all", but espeakup as "some".  No
further punctuation commands are sent when I use
SpeakupKey+F9/SpeakupKey+F10.  Is this a bug?

Thanks,
Bill