an observation, and question

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 9 10:16:49 EDT 2010

Huh...   Which version of debian did that requirement come in? I don't think
it was there in etch.  My laptop is running lenny but I may have installed
etch and then did a dist-upgrade to lenny.

I'm kind of shocked that you need 128 Mb. Debian still has 486 kernel
packages. In fact, last fall, I got a bug fixed for a driver for a chipset
that has been obsolete  for about 10 years. Those things aren't directly
debian related but the linux community generally has outstanding support for
old hardware.

Well, I suppose you can always do the install step by step yourself.  Maybe
thats why debian figured it was no big deal to have a 128 Mb requirement for
their installer.