an observation, and question

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 8 10:44:13 EDT 2010

From: "Gregory Nowak" <greg at romuald.net.eu.org>

> The hard drive is 6.4G. The internet connection is adsl, 1.5 mbps down,
> 896
> kbps up, though it syncs at around 990 kbps down, 864 kbps up. The
> only hang was like I mentioned, when it was waiting at the popularity
> contest prompt over night. Other than that, the hd was whirring the
> whole time. This is an older drive of course, so you can hear it when
> it's working.

Strange. Something else must have been wrong. Defective drive maybe?
Temporary network outage that caused the installer to get into some kind of
loop?

I could send you a 13 or 15 Gb disk. I've got 4 drives in the 13 - 15 Gb
range that I was just going to throw in the trash. I'm not 100% sure any of
them are good but I'm guessing there is a linux utility for testing a drive.