Speak up and Linux

JP Jamous JP at Jepelsy.com
Tue Apr 6 07:27:58 EDT 2010

Thank you so much for the clarifications.

This is making way more sense right now. I am actually downloading
ARCHLinux. It sounds darn good.

-----Original Message-----
From: speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca [mailto:speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca]
On Behalf Of Willem van der Walt
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 7:07 AM
To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
Subject: Re: Speak up and Linux

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, JP Jamous wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have been researching the Linux background, but have gotten confused
> a bit. I know it is my lack of knowledge.
>
> As I understand it, Speak Up can work on any Linux OS written by any
> company. Is that right?
Yes, given that the version of Linux you use uses a kernel not smaller than
2.6.26.

 However, it is easier to use the version compiled by
> GIT, because it comes with Speak Up already packaged with it.
No.  Git is a tool for downloading the latest source code of software.
The latest version of speakup can be downloaded using git.

> If I am correct, I can take Red Hat Linux or Suse Linux and apply
> Speak Up to them.
Yes, or any other distribution too.

 Will Speak up work right out of the box for a lack of a better
> term, or do I have to insure certain drivers are installed first?
Assuming you want to use software speech, you need to ensure that your sound
works and then you need to install espeakup or alternatively,
speech-dispatcher and speechd-up.

 also, if
> Red Hat or Suse has a GUI, will Speak Up work with it or would I have
> to script it as I do with JAWS?

No, speakup is what is called a console-only screen reader and will not work
under the GUI.
For working under the GUI, you can use Orca, a screen reader that comes
standard with gnome, one of the graphical desktop environments for Linux.
Another popular desktop environment under Linux is KDE which at this stage
is not accessible.

The exact method for getting speakup to work correctly can differ somewhat
depending on the linux distribution you use.
There is a Linux distribution called vinux, based on Debean, which comes
pre-configured with both speakup and orca.
I would suggest that you start with that, but you can still use the others
with different amounts of work required to get things going, depending on
the distribution.

> I would appreciate any clarifications on the above.

This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail
legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec
Computers for their support.