Speak up and Linux

JP Jamous JP at Jepelsy.com
Tue Apr 6 06:37:23 EDT 2010

Folks,

I have been researching the Linux background, but have gotten confused a
bit. I know it is my lack of knowledge.

As I understand it, Speak Up can work on any Linux OS written by any
company. Is that right? However, it is easier to use the version compiled by
GIT, because it comes with Speak Up already packaged with it.

If I am correct, I can take Red Hat Linux or Suse Linux and apply Speak Up
to them. Will Speak up work right out of the box for a lack of a better
term, or do I have to insure certain drivers are installed first? also, if
Red Hat or Suse has a GUI, will Speak Up work with it or would I have to
script it as I do with JAWS?

I would appreciate any clarifications on the above.