USB synthesizers

Trevor Astrope astrope at tabbweb.com
Sun Apr 4 12:08:59 EDT 2010

Greg, what you say applies to usb serial adapters in order to provide
speech when speakup is loaded, but if usb serial ports are treated like
the softsynth driver, speakup could access them via /dev/ttyUSB instead of
directly. Of course, speakup would still need to know what synth was at
the other end of the usb connection and how to communicate with that
device, so it probably wouldn't be easy to implement.

I know there is work being done on a kernel structure for accessing serial
devices directly, but perhaps it would be easier if it were possible to
pass the irq and i/o address to speakup on the grub/lilo command line? It
may not get speech right away for usb serial devices if the usb drivers
load after speakup, but it would still allow the user to start/script
speakup to load with the usb serial synth after the system has booted,
provided the usb serial uarts are compatible. Or maybe that could also be
a command line argument...