dectalk issues

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 30 20:20:32 EDT 2009

OK, let's be honest here.  Does anybody actually modify the caps start and
stop parameters?  I know that I never do.  Most people prefer a pitch
shift because it takes less time than a spoken message.

As to making it a choice between pitch shifting or a message, I don't see
how that's any different from what we are doing now, since, if the message
is in the i18n files, the user could customize it to anything they wanted.
They could even change it to the strings that are sent now if they felt so
inclined.

Let me ask another question here.  What exactly happens internally in
Speakup when you press the various keys to adjust pitch or speed?  For
example, insert+3 and insert+4 adjust the pitch.  What I hear with the
Dectalk in these cases is a message like "pitch 104."  The pitch is set to
that new value before the message is spoken.  I ask, because it seems to
me that some of the same code could be used to do the pitch shifting
instead of sending a hard-coded string.