dectalk issues

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:37:37 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 02:59:50PM -0400, Trevor Astrope wrote:
> William, is it possible to set defaults for caps_start and caps_stop for
> each voice and if the user changes the pitch via the sys file, they would
> also need to change the absolute value in the caps_start and caps_stop
> files as well?

 Trevor,

 the caps_start and caps_stop strings are not just pitch values; they
 are actual strings that are sent to the synthesizer.  The defaults are
 commands that change the pitch, but they could be anything a user wants
 them to be.

 What I have found looking over documentation is that relative pitches
 are not supported.  So, we can't tell the dectalk to raise or lower its
 pitch by a certain amount, we are telling it to set its pitch to a
 certain value.

I guess what I'm wondering is, since pitch shifting isn't supported by the
dectalks, I'm not sure that messing with the pitch for caps indication
as the default is a good idea.  What do you think?

William