Patch for DECTalk Express driver

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Sep 29 01:43:38 EDT 2009

I'll have to get back to you on this, but from my recollection of the
manual, the Express has no volume control except the knob on the unit.
The DECtalk PC does have a volume setting which is probably the command
you gave. I tried the command for the DEC PC with my Express and it
didn't do anything. I would have to look at the manual again to make sure.

Is there a way to send commands directly to the synthesizer with
Speakup? If I echo them to /dev/ttyS0, speech becomes very sluggish and
unresponsive. The same thing happens as soon as hal starts. That only
seems to be a problem with the DEC Express. I have a Doubletalk LT and a
Trippletalk which don't do that. There used to be a file called "synth"
which let me do that but now it only contains the name of the
synthesizer. The synth name used to be in synth_name which disappeared.