Patch for DECTalk Express driver

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Sep 27 22:24:57 EDT 2009

Hello,

I would appreciate it if a developer would please commit this.  Thanks.  I am not a programmer, so I apologize in advance if I did anything wrong.

The purpose of my patch is to fix a few small problems.  First, the default pitch was still set at 80.  The factory default should be 100.  The second problem was with the caps_start value.  It was set at 200 which was way too high.  I've lowered it to 150.  It's still raised but it isn't very high like it was.  Finally, I added a space before the closing "]" when sending commands to the synthesizer.  That was recommended by the manual.  Also, I disabled the volume adjustment.  According to the manual, it does not have a way to adjust the volume with software.  On my unit, setting the volume to 14 causes static and overloads the internal filters.  The "gv" parameter doesn't actually change the volume, it changes a characteristic of the voice.

I'm still tweaking the caps_start value, but other than that, everything should be good.  I also bumped the driver version to 2.16.  I'm thinking about setting the default rate to 10, but I don't want it to talk too fast for people.