CoLinux-and-Speakup?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Sep 25 01:44:42 EDT 2009

Hi,

You might want to look at NVDA.  It's far from a complete and
fully-featured screen reader, but two things it supports very well are
the command prompt and OpenOffice.org in Windows.  I use Window-Eyes as
my primary screen reader in Windows and it routinely drops the last line
on the screen in console windows.  It won't speak at all with
OpenOffice.org.  NVDA doesn't have either of those problems.  The only
drawback is that NVDA requires software speech.  It comes with ESpeak
and can use any SAPI voice but it doesn't support any hardware speech at
all.  Also, it's still very much in development and has a lot of missing
features.  With that said, it's very good for console apps like the
command prompt and Cygwin.  I was able to use Lynx via the Cygwin ssh
without any problem.  http://www.nvda-project.org/