How to use espeakup, revisited...

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Mon Sep 21 17:24:39 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 12:36:13PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> Why are you putting the rmmod line above into rc.local?

	Because I like starting the puter off with the hardware synth,
then switch over when the system is ready to go.  That way I can tell
what the heck is happening if something goes wrong with the
conglomeration of other programs needed to have software voice
synthesis.

	Why else spend $$$ on a hardware synthesizer so the system isn't
bogged down even more, doing voices in software?  I'm just using the
software synth so I can eventually make my puter sound like a
gurl...when they get around to making a Martha Harmon-Pardee voice for
espeak.

	If I could make the hardware synth sound female, I'd do that and
keep the CPU cycles for other jobs.  I also want something working in
case the software synth goes down for some reason.  Most of the code is
still in alpha, so it seems pretty reasonable to keep a backup
synthesizer available.>

> You seem to have figured it out easily enough, along with most
> everyone else it seems. If you really feel though that this should be
> documented somewhere, then there's nothing stopping you from contributing.

	What does it look like I'm doing?  My name isn't on the package
maintainer's list.  I only managed it because I knew about rc.local and
a little something about loading and unloading modules, which people new
to linux wouldn't know, obviously.  Nor would they know to look in
/lib/modules/{kernel-version}/extra/speakup for the synth module names,
understand a little bash scripting, or which does what.  And to top it
off, it suggests right in the espeakup man page to mention it on the
mailing list, so get off my back. <laughs>

	I still haven't figured out why my puter stopped beeping at me
when I press the wrong key, so it's evident that all the bugs in Squeeze
haven't been worked out yet.  Without sighted assistance to call on late
at night after an upgrade when things stop working, it only seems
reasonable to insure I have a backup option ready to go, and the
documentation at hand.  If suggesting contributions here in the mailing
list is politically uncorrect, just let me know so I can killfile you
for being an Elitist Putz.  I believe it's also good to rehash how to do
things while SpeakUP is still in a state of flux and things change from
one day to the next, especially for those of us who find the web to be
the clunkiest interface for the visually impared that was ever created.

	Anyway, we don't need people like you trying to censor sources
of information the rest of us may desperately need. <grins>

			Michael

--
Linux User: 	177869                                       Powered by Intel