trying to get speakup to work as modules on Ubuntu 9.04

al Sten-Clanton Albert.E.Sten_Clanton at verizon.net
Fri Sep 11 09:47:32 EDT 2009

Greetings!

I've tried to install speakup-3.13 as modules on Ubuntu 9.04.  I followed
the instructions in INSTALLATION for installing for a running kernel.
Messages indicated that a number of things got installed, but neither the
old-style speakup subdirectories that would exist in /sys/module nor the
/sys/accessibility ones are present.  Also, though speakup_ltlk.ko (think I
spelled that right) exists and apparently is installed, for example, there's
no speakup_ltlk.

I was able to get speakup this way for Fedora 10, the difference being that
I wasn't doing it for the running kernel.  The running kernel then was the
speakup-modified one for Fedora 9, so of course speakup_ltlk was already
there.

Am I missing one or more steps?

Thanks for any help.

Al