OT: espeak Symbian port, C plus plus help needed

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Tue Oct 27 07:35:51 EDT 2009

Good day,
As some of you might, like me think it a good idea to have the espeak
synthesizer available under Symbian, I am asking here.
I have ported espeak to symbian, but without direct playback support.
Actually up till now, it is just the speak program that is ported.  It can
generate a wave file which I now play with python on symbian.
The next step is to port the library and to get direct speech output so
that one would be able to use indexing etc from the library.
Where I am out of my depth, is to marry the example code for doing audio
output on the phone to the similar work done by Willie Walker and Gills
Casse where they replaced portaudio with code to do the same thing for
sada
under Solaris and pulsaudio respectively.

Using the open-c/c++ library under Symbian, the code is supposed to be
very close to standard POSIX code, but I do not even know enough to
confirm this personally.
Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards, Willem