clipboard integration -- possible security implications

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Oct 23 03:11:09 EDT 2009

Hi,

OK, how does speakupconf work if you're not root? If it can write to sys
files, perhaps have it write the name of the clipboard file, the same as
you would to switch synthesizers. That would give ultimate flexibility
to the user, although the question is still who the current user is. I
would define the current user as the one who is using Speakup at the
time that text is copied to the Speakup clipboard.

Another idea would be to require a user to be in a special group,
similar to only making the CD drive accessible to users in the "audio"
group. The group would have to manually be created, but it would be a
simple matter to add all users who should be allowed to read the Speakup
clipboard to that group. I had to manually add a user to the audio group
before I could extract a CD. You could also give the option of using an
already existing group, such as "admin" which is used by sudo.