ssl certificate advice

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Oct 20 04:36:10 EDT 2009

Hi,

I would go with Rapid SSL.  They are commercial but they're cheap.  I
think they're around $13 USD per year.  You could also sign up for a
really cheap web hosting account and maybe borrow their cert, depending
on what host you pick.  We had a situation with a small business who
didn't want to pay a fortune for a cert but needed encryption for
assignment forms.  Rather than have a self-signed cert which would cause
warnings to come up, we went with them.  They worked fine and did the
job.  We're actually still using that cert even though the business
dropped their own private server.  I'm pretty sure it was $39 for three
years, but that could be off.  I'm also thinking that prices might have
dropped, so definitely shop around first.  Their site is a bit confusing
and leaves a little to be desired in terms of accessibility, but it
isn't too bad and probably wouldn't require importing a new root cert.
http://www.rapidssl.com/  There are two of them, one is significantly
more expensive and requiring a phone call or some such.  You want the
other one that's cheaper and just requires filling out a form and
providing a valid email address.  I don't remember how to get there,
unfortunately.  If you have questions, write off-list if you want.  It's
fairly simple to import into Apache, but I didn't get pop3s working.