[commandline] trplayer kludge, but it works (fwd)

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Nov 29 21:47:07 EST 2009

I'm sure I'm not the only one to point this out, but here are my thoughts.

On point #4, why not just use Helix?  It has Linux binaries that work.
It leaves a lot to be desired in terms of the UI, but it plays audio and
is compatible with Real.  It's not in Debian, but you can download
precompiled binaries after registration.  You might be able to get
source, it's hard to tell.  I think Ubuntu might have Helix or Real also
but it requires X.  The Helix site is confusing, but it's there.

On point #7, why not just use ldd?  That shows the needed libraries.  On
a large system, there is no reason to copy hundreds of unnecessary
libraries.  If you can set up a compressed loop filesystem, you could
just jail it that way, just making sure the compressed loop filesystem
is mounted in /etc/fstab.

Finally, the reason why it's no longer maintained is simple.  Matt
Campbell works for Serotek and probably no longer has the time or
interest.  I know for certain that it used to work on Debian, so I'm not
sure where the Red Hat comment comes from.

Of course, you could also use MPlayer which plays Real and avoid the
hassle altogether, but I don't think it plays Flash.