grub2 impressions

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Nov 27 19:55:13 EST 2009

Zachary Kline  <speakup at braille.uwo.ca> wrote:
>A little experimenting has found an answer to the beep problem.  Similar
>to what you would do in grub-legacy, put a ctrl+g bell character in the
>possibly quoted name of a menuentry title, before the left brace.
>I just did this for my ArchLinux entry, and it beeped the PC speaker
>properly.

Also, for the serial console:
http://linux.xvx.cz/188/debian-with-grub2-and-serial-connection/

This is for debian. On other distributions, the preferred approach may be to
edit grub.cfg directly.

Note: I haven't tested this. Only one of my machines has a serial port and
it's occupied by a Dectalk Express synthesizer. I have a USB->serial adapter
but that won't help here, since the kernel needs to be loaded for USB devices
to be recognized.

The real solution is called coreboot, and htere's also IPMI 2.0.

Just an aside on the XFS file system bug: the symptom was that grub-install
failed, but with a little work you could install grub manually from the Grub
shell. It was a longstanding bug in debian and elsewhere.

Grub 2 doesn't try to write to the file system via the block device, and so is
much better behaved in this area.