Getting Speakup working on a server Linux OS

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 27 19:47:56 EST 2009

There were 2 sources for speechd-up debian packages, ubuntu and myself.

I created a speechd-up debian package that mostly worked. But it  never
became an official debian package and I don't think speechd-up is even being
developed any more. You can try my packages but even I don't use them any
more. I always use espeakup which does not require speech-dispatcher or
speechd-up. If you ttry my packages, you will probably have to modify the
/etc/init.d/speechd-up script. I think changes in debian from etch to lenny
broke that script.

If you want to try my debian package you can point a browser here:
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/binary-i386/speechd-up_0.5_i386.deb

Or for amd64:
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/debian/binary-amd64/speechd-up_0.5_amd64.deb
jheim at erdos:~/public/html$