grub2 and sound/beep

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 27 19:25:07 EST 2009

No, I am not saying there are accessibility features in grub2. And to tell
you the truth, I am at something of a loss as to how you could read that
into what I said.

Anyway, I don't know if it's possible to configure grub2 to display the boot
menu via a serial console. As I said in an earlier message, I lost that
feature when I upgraded my laptop to grub2. I also lost the beep I'd put
into the menu.lst file. There is no menu.lst file under grub2.

On the other hand, I wouldn't assume that it's impossible to configure those
things under grub2. It may simply be undocumented. I doubt that there was
anything in the old grub docs on how to make a menu item beep when you
cursored over it. Yet, that was obviously possible. And I'd be shocked if
there isn't some way to configure grub2 to display the boot menu over a
serial console. It seems to me that that's a feature that would have wide
enough appeal that the developers would have included it in grub 2.