[commandline] trplayer kludge, but it works (fwd)

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Thu Nov 26 12:20:28 EST 2009

Why not just use something like mplayer? Much simpler as it tends to be
packaged into distributions and supports many more formats. OK, mplayer
I found needed the actual stream URL extracting from the .ram file (in
the case of the BBC it just needed the content which is the stream URL,
use a command like
mplayer $(cat filename.ram)
). Mplayer is just one example, there are others like xine.

Another alternative, if you want to make some work for yourself would be
create a command line player based on something like gstreamer... Well
for simple use you could even use some of the CLI tools included with
gstreamer.

I really would leave trplayer alone.

Michael Whapples