jzip: an alternative to frotz

Zachary Kline kline.zachary at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 23:16:57 EST 2009

Hi,
In my attempts to find an interactive fiction interpreter which works
well with Speakup, I stumbled upon jzip.  This is a bit older than frotz
and isn't maintained, but it  supports all the modern interactive
fiction standards with the exception of blorb.  I thought of cutting my
teeth in C by trying to integrate Andrew Plotkin's Blorblib with it.
The termcap-based interface is compilable if you link with the ncurses
library.  It works quite nicely, and doesn't suffer from the frotz
habbit of repeating old text when the screen fills.
It can be found at the IF archive, in /interpreters-infocom-zcode/zip.
The version I have is from 2000, and unfortunately doesn't respect the
unix convention and extract into its own directory.
I'm not sure how many interactive fiction players are on this list, but
I thought I'd pass this along.
Best and enjoy,
Zack.