speakup and dialog

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Fri Nov 13 07:46:51 EST 2009

It has been a long time since I did very much bash script programming
so I'm not sure of the current state of dialog.  The problem is that a
lot of curses based programs do not automatically use the show cursor
mode of ncurses so speakup has nothing to track.  You can either
explore dialog for a configuration setting to have the cursor shown or
use a package such as libnewt or whiptail which both have pretty good
show cursor modes.  My guess is however that dialog probably does have
a show cursor mode if you hunt for it.

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Donald Raikes wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am wondering if it is possible to use the dialog package with speakup.
>
> I want to create several shell scripts that present information and ask for choices/input via the dialog package, however, I have discovered that speakup doesn't seem to work very well with ncurses packages in general like dialog.
>

> Any tips on how to configure either dialog or speakup to make them work well together would be appreciated.

phone: (519) 661-3061