clipboard integration -- possible security implications

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Nov 10 04:36:52 EST 2009

I do sometimes use Speakup via ssh.  Sometimes I want to make sure my
hardware synthesizer is working.  I often build new Speakup modules via
ssh for convenience.  When I was playing with virtual machines and
DOSemu, I tried sending output through Speakup.  I'm actually wondering
if there could be a potential security issue with a remote user flooding
a hardware synth buffer by sending massive amounts of text to it.  I
have verified that I can make my synth talk from across the room with
ssh, so presumably there would definitely be a security issue in that a
user could send unwanted and/or annoying messages to your synth when you
aren't expecting it.  In the case of the DECtalk, they could send text
without a closing bracket and potentially cause loss of speech.