speakup.synth= vs modprobe

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Thu Mar 26 18:43:45 EDT 2009

You probably have to put the modules into your initrd...I'm not
familiar with this as I use slackware which doesn't use
initrds...though looking at mkinitrd I think it is should help. THen
you have to find a way for the startup script to detect the
speakup.synth param and load the correct module.
On
Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 01:02:16PM -0500, John G. Heim wrote:
> I installed the 2.6.26 kernel from debian lenny along with the speakup
> modules.  I modified my /boot/grub/menu.lst to use speakup.synth=ltlk as a
> boot parameter. But I don't get speech during boot. If I log in after it
> boots and type 'modprobe speakup_ltlk' then I get speech.
>
> Any explanation for this? Below is the boot stanza from my menu.lst.
>
> title  Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-1-486
> root  (hd0,0)
> kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-486 root=/dev/hda1 ro speakup.synth=ltlk
> initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-486

If you want to travel around the world and be invited to speak at a lot
of different places, just write a Unix operating system.
	-- Linus Torvalds