Booting the linux.

webczat at fws.pl.eu.org webczat at fws.pl.eu.org
Thu Mar 19 17:43:32 EDT 2009

Alastair Irving <alastair.irving at sjc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> For most things grub is useable.  By putting a bell character in the
> title line of one of the menu entries you can get a system beep when
> grub comes up and also when the given entry is selected or deselected.
> By looking at the grub.conf you know what's in the menu and therefore
> its just a case of counting the number of up/down arrows to get to the
> right entry.  Admitedly I wouldn't want to do anything more advanced,
> for example giving specific kernel parameters to grub, but for this you
> can just put a new entry in the config file.
>
> Bios is as far as I know always totally inaccessible.
>
> HTH
>
> Alastair
>
> webczat at fws.pl.eu.org wrote:
> > Hey.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to use grub without help from a sighted person? (lilo works well but grub is probably too difficult for blind user).
> >
> > Can i sometimes change bios configuration without sighted person help?
> > for example some tricks with the serial console or similar.
> > I have apollo synthesizer.
> > Have you any idea?
> > Thangs.
Why bios can't be accessible? bios has serial port drivers!
So why not? bios speech can for example speak bios post (only at request) and permit entering bios setup.
This should also disable after loading the bootloader, before starting it.
Are there any projects on this?
And no, i can't use bell character. reason is simple: i haven't any onboard pc speaker.
Thangs.