How to unmute multiple controls at once

Keith Hinton keithint1234 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 12:16:54 EDT 2009

Hi to all on the Speakup mailing list,
This is a very general question. How do you unmute all the audio
controls? One problem that I will have with my laptop is this.
The sound card has a PC Speaker control that generates a PC speaker
tone through it. I use this generally for knowing if I'm at the left
hand margin of the BASH shell. While other people find it annoying, I
find it useful for this personally. Only previous versions of Udev
detect it, beginning with Linux kernel 2.6.26. The GRML-kernel, used
in GRML-2008.11, uses 2.6.26. In that case, my laptop sound card works
great. However, I still don't know how to  successfully unmute all the
necessary controls. The  PCM and master volumes should work, however I
will require my PC speaker control to work. I don't know what
Alsa-mixer calls that type Of control, as many laptops do not have an
onboard PC speaker. Therefore, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Is
there a rappid command I could send to alsamixer? I.e. Alsamixer
Control1; control2; control3; control4; contro.l5; control 6; control
seven; control 8; control 9; control 10; unmute /dev/audio? Or
something.
Well, on second thought, maybe not all the audio controls, but I don't
want to go changing volume levels, I just want them unmuted. What
should I do? If I can quickly do this on the LiveCD before really
using it, I don't care about the glaring defect. The card in my
laptop, according to Windows, is an Realtek HD Audio card. Would the
PCM and master volumes be enough to provide audio output? I guess that
testing is the only way to determan this, but I'd like a more
practical for sure to work solution. I won't go hunting around the
Internet to get this working, I really don't have any time to do this.
Thanks again. Regards, --Keith