news about the talking ArchLinux ISO

Chris Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Wed Mar 18 13:06:30 EDT 2009

I reformatted my earlier announcement as a wiki page.  A wiki is easier
to edit as things change.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archlinux_for_the_blind

The ISO has one glaring defect.  The script that starts sound only unmutes
two of the sound card's controls: Master and PCM.  This won't work for all
cards, even though those two controls are sufficient for all of the cards
that I've ever owned.
E.G., Chuck Hallenbeck had to unmute the "Front" control in order to hear
audio.
My solution was obviously wrong and simple-minded, so I'm back to the drawing
board.  If anyone has advice on how to write a universal script for
initializing sound, I'd be eternally grateful!

-- Chris