Character pronounciation

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Mon Mar 2 16:52:29 EST 2009

Well Zack-and-All, I am following this discussion with interest.
I suppose which ever option would give me more control
of my Dec-Talk listening experience.
Seems like when I was in DOS with Vocal-Eyes,
I had complete controll, I could not
only create character-and-key-label
dictionaries, as well as manually
edit Dec-Talk files to get
rid of needless abreviations. Also in almost every windows screen-reader, as
well as
Jupiter in Linux, there are pronunciation
dictionaries
Now I feel I have quite little access to
customizing my experience, even though Linux
is more powerful.
An example, yesterday some1 posted the path where
the characters file could fix the letter zee.
So I go there-and-with sudo in nano
I edit that file, make all my changes.
Once I exit, the file is automaticly set back
to defaults.  Maybe I should do
a chmod 755 on that directory.
Anyway, for months since we upgraded from
fc6-fc9 most of the time my altered
characters file is not active.
And I still have issues, probably involving caps start-and-stop,
which knock down pitch-and-rate.
Thanks for listening
Hart