espeak and the letter z

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Mar 2 06:08:39 EST 2009

On this topic, I know that speechd-up modifies some of speakup's
settings when it starts (I think characters was an example). I am
slightly split in my mind whether this really should be done
(particularly as default), but I can see the arguments for it and this z
issue highlights it so may be espeakup could do some of this setting
stuff (I would opt that it should only alter stuff if certain options
are given, so leaving the default as no modification of speakup's settings).

Any other views?

Also as a separate question, but linked, by setting
/sys/modules/speakup/parameters/direct will settings like punctuation
level stop working (IE. do you mean it doesn't process the character
table or do you mean speakup does absolutely no processing of text)?

Michael Whapples