Numeric User Gone Bad?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon Mar 2 05:33:53 EST 2009

I don't run Debian here I run ubuntu however here are some things to check:

Bash does not export all variables to subshells or subprograms and perhaps
the behaviour has changed.
Note that UID is in upper case, not lower case.
You could try
export UID
from the login shell see if that helps.
I noticed under OSX that the PS1 variable wasn't exported to subshells,
export ps1
in my login script helped.

Sometimes after upgrading stuff rebooting is necessary; I assume you
rebooted after the upgrade to squeeze? That would certainly be a good idea
if new pam libraries or a new kernel went in.
these people that say you don't reboot Linux take it a bit far sometimes,
whilst Linux is extremely stable and rarely needs rebooting there are times
when rebooting is the easiest way out of a mess,
and sometimes the way to get you into another :)
Regards, Kerry.