Kernel preemption spelling bug

Keith Hinton keithint1234 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 18:45:34 EST 2009

Hello list, I was just curious about the current development of
Speakup, and noticed at one point that Speakup (as  of the new Git
version) does no longer spell on kernels that have the big kernel lock
preempted.
The CVS version of Speakup Speakup2.X, would constantly spell out
things with software speech synthesizers, such as, but not limited to:
Passwd, would be spoken as "P . a . s . s . w . d," as in enter new
unix then would spell "passwd' etc.
Just curious.
Also, what kernel versions does Speakup currently work with?

I was spicifically testing GRML Linux 2008.11, with a 2.6.26 kernel,
and noticed to my shock that I could use software speech without
having to go download the kernel package, recompile it, and shut off
the big kernel lock option, (wich I finally had to remaster an old
LiveCD to fix through the help of another member on this list)
Anyways, congradulations on fixing this annoying but rather crazy issue!
Regards, --Keith