vinux

Georgina Joyce ready2golinux at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 24 17:32:42 EDT 2009

Hi

Vinux is now using debian.

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 20:12 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> For really fast booting systems, ubuntu is a nightmare.  If a system boots
> slower ubuntu probably will work, but with vinux even on a fast booting
> system you boot it and wait and in time orca comes up talking.  The thing
> with ubuntu as was explained over on the gnome-orca list is that several
> issues with ubuntu regarding use of root account with speech were fixed in
> vinux and those fixes went out pre-packaged.  I do have an older version
> of ubuntu around which needed sighted assistance to get installed and
> talking because of that booting issue.  There's no way I could recommend
> ubuntu as a first Linux for a blind person needing accessibility like orca
> but could recommend grml or vinux or debian though.  What was a nice
> surprise with grml was that it installed on my laptop and runs, I don't
> know that the other flavors of Linux can do that especially not debian.

Gena

four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

    * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
    * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access
to the source code is a precondition for this.

Richard Matthew Stallman